Summer is quickly approaching and some local businesses decided to take the opportunity to team up with Yelp and present a unique experience for their customers. The event entitled “Yelp’s Sugar High!” highlights some sweet tasty treats from Tucson Metropolitan area businesses.
For readers not familiar with Yelp, Yelp is a community oriented online review network for people who want to locate new and exciting places in their local community. Based on reviews, Yelpers can decide if they would like to check out the new Indian place down the street or not. “Yelpers” are people who use Yelp to review local businesses, find out about events and utilize the site in general. Additionally, business owners can use the customer reviews to identify problems and improve their businesses.
Yelp’s Sugar High is hoping to drive it’s highly active community of “Yelpers”, who post over five hundred reviews locally every five days, to local sweet spots. While speaking to Corey, Yelp’s Community Manager for Tucson, AZ, he referred to Yelp’s Sugar High as “Our tribute to awesome sweet treats in Tucson.” The idea was spawned by Yelp San Francisco which first held the event in March. The event was wildly successful. Corey’s goals for Yelp’s Sugar High are (Sugar) High. “I want them to sell out in the first hours of opening their doors……I mean fifty percent off (sweets) is an awesome deal.” This is Yelp’s first promotion in Tucson. “It will be interesting to gage people’s participation. However, we can already tell from the website that people are interested. They have the option to click ‘I am in’ and have. We will gage people’s interest and participation by them (clicking I am in) and by attendance to events.” In order to obtain the promotional discount, patrons just have to mention “Yelp” when making their purchase; however, not all business require this.
Yelp Sugar High, Tucson, Arizona May 9 – 15th
Yelp’s Sugar High Launch Party is on May 9 from 6 to 8 pm at the Rialto Arts & Antiques
- Free sweets
- Live music from Shaky Bones Jazz Band
- Raffle prizes
- Yelpy surprises and free Sugar High shirts (while supplies last)
Participating Local Businesses:
CHOCOLATE IGUANA:: 500 N 4th Ave.
- Assorted 1/4 lb. Bags of Candies — $.87 – $1.50, regular price $1.75 – $3.00. Selection may include gummies, chocolate raisins, chocolate peanuts, chocolate caramel macadamia clusters and chocolate bridge mix.
- One Scone — $1.12, regular price $2.25. Selection may include orange glazed chocolate chip, chocolate chip, cherry almond, espresso glazed and blueberry.
- One Doodah! Bar — $1.50, regular price $2.95. Graham cracker crust bar with peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch chips, walnuts and coconut.
Make sure they don’t run out of your favorite sweet treats by calling ahead to let them know what you’re hungry for!
CAFÉ A LA C’ART:: 150 N. Main Ave.
- One Cookie — $.99, regular price $1.99. Selection may include chocolate chip and walnuts, pistachio and lemon, “PMS” oatmeal, chocolate chip, and peanut butter cookies.
- One Bar — $1.75, regular price $3.50. Selection may include raspberry, chocolate and oatmeal, lemon, magic, apricot, chocolate brownie with ganache bars.
- One Pastry — $2.50, regular price $5.00. Selection may include chocolate bombs, fruit gallette and berry cake slice.
HUB RESTAURANT AND CREAMERY:: 266 E. Congress St. ::
- One Scoop Of Ice-Cream — $1.40, regular price $2.75
- Two Scoops Of Ice-Cream — $1.90, regular price $3.75
- One Pint Of Ice-Cream — $2.90, regular price $5.75 (to go only)
Ice cream selection may include bourbon almond brittle, oatmeal cookie dough, salted caramel, strawberry cheesecake, s’mores, white chocolate and passion fruit, chocolate pudding, bacon scotch, and a few lactose free options.
MINI’S CUPCAKES:: 7051 N. Oracle Rd.
- One to Five Cupcakes — $1.75 per cupcake, regular price $3.50 per cupcake
- Four Mini Cupcakes — $2.50 for a 4-mini sampler box, regular price $5.00
- One Gourmet Cake — $25.00, regular price $50.00 (graduation anyone?)
- cake orders need 3 day advance notice
- cake orders can be placed starting May 1st and ending May 15th
- cake needs to be paid for between May 9-15
- cake needs to be picked up during the month of May
FROGS ORGANIC BAKERY:: 7109 N. Oracle Rd.
- Three Mini Cookies — $1.00, regular price $2.00
- Two French Macaroons — $1.50, regular price $2.00
- One Morning Sticky Bun — $1.80, regular price $3.60
Interested in hearing about their selection of cookies and macaroons? Give them a jingle. Executive Chef Jean-Luc Labat creates special offerings made fresh daily!